Jeff Maxim

My experience at Recurse Center

Week 5!

| Comments

It’s been over a week since I stuck a post up here! Sorry, Mom…

I’m into week 5 here at Recurse Center, which is crazy, because it feels like I just started yesterday.

I got totally immersed in Python’s Flask microframework since my last blogpost. I read Miguel Grinberg’s Flask Book.

If you’re interested in a pretty deep understanding of Flask, and if you want to make a extremely functional flask website, Grinberg’s book is the way to go. Check it out, not just because buying it through my link gets me a couple cents in advertising profits from my Amazon ad :)

I’ve been working and working and working on my chess project, which is currently in two parts, part 1 here and part 2 here. Part 1 has users and profiles and passwords, and part 2 has all the chess functionality. I’m in the process of trying to link the two parts into one project based on the lessons I’ve learned from Grinberg’s book.

Since it’s week 5 and I’m nearly halfway done, I thought I’d summarize some of the major topics I’ve learned so far:

1) I didn’t know any Python before I got to RC, and now I’m building fully functional web apps with it. I’ve built a semi-functional weather webpage which required me to work with an API and some JSON from Weather Underground.

2) I’ve solved a bunch of challenges at CodeEval in Python.

3) I’m working on a super secret chess website in Python.

4) I figured out classes and objects and built a tic-tac-toe game using my object-oriented programming knowledge.

5) I even built a twitter-bot that updates a twitter feed with recent posts to Reddit TIL subreddit.

6) I made a URL-shortening website in flask. This helped teach me about automatically generated routes and URL’s in flask, and it also was a good introduction to databases.

7) I’ve built up some serious database and SQL knowledge. In my another version of my super secret chess website in Python, I’ve got a full-blown PostGres database and make calls to it with SQLAlchemy.

8) I got a little bit of a handle on AJAX calls. Specifically, I solved one issue that has been bugging me ever since I made Jeffit. I wanted to update page elements dynamically via AJAX calls with data that’s queried from a SQL database. I finally solved that issue in my weather page.

This is just a summary of some of the major things I’ve learned and worked on so far and can remember now. I hope the next 5 weeks are just as productive!

Comments